Be Careful What You Wish For
A little while ago, our health plan sent around an email saying that for the first three months of next year, members would get free prescription drugs at participating pharmacies. (Free generic drugs, that is -- apparently it's a new effort to get people to use generics, although I would think the fact that they charge you an arm and leg to get the name brand drugs would be motivation enough.) Basically, what they're doing is waiving the copay.
Oooooh, I thought. Free drugs! What a great idea! Now all I needed was to find a doctor that would prescribe me some medicine even though I didn't actually need it. It would just be nice to have it on hand, you know? Some antibiotics, a little of this, a little of that -- make a well-stocked medicine cabinet in case of emergencies.
Unfortunately, I managed to come up with a need for some prescription drugs instead. After hobbling around (literally) with some fairly unpleasant back and leg pain for the past week or two, I went to the doctor today and found out I have sciatica. (I know, I know, it sounds like something I should get about the time I check in to the nursing home. But nooooo.) So, I get to take boatloads of ibuprofen (which is working wonders, by the way), plus some muscle relaxers. (Thank goodness the semester is over and I don't have to worry about teaching for a while.)
I also have strict instructions not to lift anything, including groceries or laundry. Unfortunately, that also includes the 29-pound dog, but I don't think *he* minds that. The doctor also recommended against long drives, but there's no avoiding that. ("Well, someone else should be driving, and you should be lying down in the back seat!")
The past few days have given me a deep sympathy for people who have to live in chronic pain -- it's distracting and exhausting. I'm so glad to be feeling better, though!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home