Saturday, March 07, 2009

Hockey

I was on my way to a meeting on Wednesday, and when I walked through the center of campus, the Carolina Hurricanes had a table set up -- they were giving away free hockey tickets! Mike and I had never been to a hockey game here, so we decided we'd take advantage of it. (Of course, they were nosebleed seats, but we're used to that in our sporting events!)

We had dinner at the arena, where Mike found a stand selling Philly cheesesteaks. (They even had a "South Street" sign.) They had the longest line in the place, so we figured it was probably pretty good. :) The guy taking the orders at least knew about all the different places in Philly, so that was also a promising sign.

The stands weren't completely full, but the crowd was enthusiastic. We were a little surprised at how many people were decked out in their full Hurricanes gear!

And it turned out to be a really good game, too. Hockey isn't known as a high-scoring sport, but there was one point during the second period (I think) where the Hurricanes scored three goals in about as many minutes. It was amazing. (This was a bit surprising, too, because they were playing a strong opponent -- the Calgary Flames.)

And of course, they had my favorite part -- the Zambonis! (John Deere brand -- yee-haw!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I miss going to Canes games...going to see the Caps just isn't the same!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

We'll put it on our list of things to do whenever you guys have a chance to make it down here for a visit! :)

10:22 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

I love hockey.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home