Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Medical Clearance

At long last, I got to go see a physical therapist yesterday about my back. (I won't bore you with the saga of the repeated phone calls and eventual hysterics that were required to get a referral. Actually, I probably shouldn't be boring you with this entire post, since there's nothing more fascinating than hearing about somebody else's medical woes. So, feel free to skip on to some other part of the Internet.)

By this point, of course, my back is about 95% back to normal, so the visit perhaps wasn't as useful as it would have been, oh, a month ago. But it was still worthwhile. He gave me a couple of exercises to do, and he also said that from his examination, it probably wasn't a slipped or herniated disc that caused the sciatica. Instead, it seems like something just got out of joint, and then the muscles seized up. (Sciatica is a general diagnosis of symptoms, and there are several things that can cause it.) I was really delighted to hear that -- the mental image of my poor deteriorating discs was really depressing. He also said that there shouldn't be any restrictions on my activities, which was great to hear. I've started doing some yoga, but I was worried that some of the moves might be counterproductive for my back, but it seems like that's not the case. Hooray!

2 Comments:

Blogger Niki said...

I'm glad to hear you finally got an appointment, even if it was a little late. Hopefully the exercises will help keep your back healthy and strong, possibly preventing a reoccurence.
Rock on yoga!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yoga is like a drug. I need to get back into doing it. I always left yoga class feeling **high**!

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home