Friday, July 07, 2006

Joy and Pain

(...like sunshine, and rain...music of the 80's, anyone?)

It's a bit strange having our wedding anniversary also be the anniversary of the London bombings. I suppose it runs in the family, though -- my parents' anniversary is the day of the Kennedy assassination.

And it could be worse; I'm guessing most Americans have already forgotten about the London attacks, or would have if they hadn't been reminded of them by the news stories today. We have a friend with a September 11 birthday, and no one's going to forget that. (Although an acquaintance with that birthday did tell us the story of getting stopped by the cops for speeding, and getting out of the ticket because the officer felt sorry for him after seeing the date on his license!)

I suppose there's some philosophical point here about every day being wonderful and horrible for someone, acknowledging the sorrow without living in the shadow, but I'm too lazy to go any further with it. Hope your day is more wonderful than horrible!

3 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Princess Di died on our first anniversary. Eventually, your day will not be dominated by newspaper stories revisiting the tragedy. Or so I'm told.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Also, (because I'm too dumb to say it the first time) Happy Anniversary!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Thanks!!

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home